Wednesday, August 6, 2008

disappointing Results

In the few days before the Ravelympics I've been playing with the pattern Bonbon by Larissa Brown available from Knitty. It's a pattern for a bath puff, and I was enamoured by the idea of knitting gifts from nylon novelty yarns impulsively bought years ago. Even before I cast on I could imagine wrapping each with a fabulous handmade soap.

First, Moda Dea Ticker Tape - a lovely soft sueded ribbon in mottled beiges. Nope, the Ticker Tape puff sags and stays damp for days after use - reminds me of sodden kelp. Maybe something crisper? Next, Lion Brand Trellis - an open ladder-like tape with metallic gold steps hung on contrasting black framework. The texture is better, the functionality is better, but the shimmer of the golds is lost when scrunched and wet. It looks vaguely unhealthy - like a warning photo on a cigarette pack.

I'm disappointed these didn't turn out. .. I was so convinced about how great they were going to be. Time to take a deep breath and put the pattern aside. And maybe, one day, give it another try ... but then use the recommended yarn.

No comments: