Saturday, October 18, 2008

delving into fibers

Shirley, Christine and I spent the afternoon at the Creativ Festival. I very nearly passed on going - I've been disappointed in previous years with how little knitting was represented. But I was pleasantly surprised this year.

My first stop was Gemini Fibres, lured in by spinning wheels, bags of roving and drop spindles. First, a drop spindle of an appropriate weight for a beginner handmade of snake wood and beech. Next, a bag of Coopworth roving - a carded roving from a Border Leicester and Romney sheep cross. I'm told it's less slippery than combed roving ... a good choice for a beginner. And finally, an instructional DVD called Drop Spindle Spinning and a book called Teach Yourself Visually Handspinning.

I haven't got the faintest idea of what I'm doing. But I'm determined to learn, and I think it's going to be fun and rewarding. And if I really can't figure it out, there's a full day workshop at Gemini Fibres next Saturday that may be the answer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, no. Not another project...