Thursday, December 18, 2008

starting the Mystery KAL


The Newfie Mitts are done and look great. The alpaca is lovely soft and warm - I'd definitely knit alpaca again. I'm still thinking that these mitts need a lining. Maybe in the New Year I'll try picking up stitches along the inside top of the cuffs and knitting a very plain stockinette mitten lining. I've seen other patterns where this has been done and I can't see why it won't work. And there's the small matter of finding a matching hat pattern.

With the mittens done, the needles are now free for the Mystery KAL. What I can tell you is that it is a slipper sock and that the designer Tabitha says that it's a quick knit. But because Tabitha is planning to offer the pattern for sale once we've all finished test-knitting it, we have been asked to keep the details of the pattern to ourselves. In respect of that, there won't be many pictures in coming days. I can show you the yarn I'm considering - two strands of Bambino baby cotton. I checked my stash and I haven't got any worsted weight, so I'm going to try this instead. Today I'll knit a gauge swatch to see if it'll work.

No comments: