Wednesday, May 27, 2009

another day ...


... another hat. This latest uses some Patons Look At Me baby sport that I've had in my stash for years. When my sister, my neighbour and my cousin fell pregnant at the same time I made a series of colourful baby sweaters to welcome the new arrivals. Nicholas turns nine in July - that tells you how long those leftover balls of yarn have been waiting in my stash.

The pattern is a simple beanie - lovely with this bright and busy yarn. So far this is Gavin's favourite. I like the simplicity of the pattern, but the rolled brim is a bit chunkier than I'd want. Instead, the ribbed cuff of the last two hats might be a bit more comfy on a newborn's head. My plan is to mail my completed hats this weekend - expect to see a couple more hats before I'm done. Maybe one more the same as this one, maybe a couple of white hats.

And I can't put off weaving in ends on my Taiga sweater any longer! I've been perplexed about how to go about it - with so many strands in so many in different colours, my usual trick of duplicate stitching them into the fabric won't work. I don't want the colours of the ends peeking through. When in doubt, consult Ravelry! A quick search of the forums led me to this helpful advice. The second method describes working the ends up and down through the purl bumps on the reverse side of the fabric. That should work, thanks Nanette! But how did we get along pre-Ravelry?

1 comment:

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

what a lovely beanie hat! so cute