Thursday, July 23, 2009

Fall down seven times ...


Nana korobi ya oki
translated from Japanese: Fall down seven times, get up eight.

It's exhilarating knitting this little shawl. My fingers and toes are crossed and I'm barely daring to breath. If it turns out well, it's going to be fantastic. And if it doesn't turn out, then I'm going to try again, and again, and again, until it does. After three false starts, I'm at the eighth repeat of the budding lace pattern. It's so pretty.

Gavin looked over the pattern. "Are you mad?" he asked. "Why put yourself through that?" Because to do this one little shawl opens up a whole world of lace knitting, that I've been afraid of up until now. As T.S. Eliot said " You have to risk going too far to discover how far you can really go".

1 comment:

Frieda said...

Isn't it fun , and the finished product is so impressive ! I had such a sense of accomplishment after my first lace knit. Congratulations for hanging in there , can't it to see the finished shawl .