Monday, March 15, 2010

dishcloth mania


Apparently I need to knit a few more dishcloths to get this sudden dishcloth mania out of my system. After knitting the first two using Grandmother's Favorite pattern, I couldn't help but think about variations on that pattern that would spice things up. Mom and I often had this problem - instead of following the instructions, we'd feel the need to deviate with our own little improvements. And sometimes those improvements failed entirely to live up to how we visualized them. In trying to become a better knitter, I've made the conscious decision to knit patterns exactly as written at least once before improving them ... and so far that's been a wise decision.

Delving a bit further in the Ravelry database of patterns brought me to this variation created by eLoomanator, with a sort of lattice inset in the middle of the dish cloth. Just what the doctor ordered. Interestingly, the designer uses SKPs in place of K2Togs. At this tight gauge, they're certainly easier. She also suggests that I could work SSKs instead of SKPs. I'm going to have to try it; because that would speed things up tremendously.

3 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I have serious trouble following a pattern.. I always feel the need to make "improvments"

One pair of Hands said...

That's so pretty, how can you bear to use it for a dish cloth. I usually make a note to do it differently next time, but often 'next time' doesn't come.

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

dishcloths can be very addictive!