Sunday, September 26, 2010

a first blanket block


Stephanie Van der Linden has designed some of the most spectacular sock patterns I've ever seen. Last year I knit Esther socks and Komet socks - incredible! And for the last little while I've been eyeing another of her patterns - GrĂ¼n ist die Hoffnung.

It's very interesting construction. The pattern is worked from the centre out, working the top of the foot first. After looking at the project pages of fellow Ravelers I decided to knit the motif as a blanket block in worsted weight. A couple of reasons for this. Firstly, I'm not convinced that I have enough yarn to complete an entire blanket. I bought every inch of this colourway but that's only 3 skeins or 645 yards. It'd be a very small blanket. Secondly, it seems to me that, as a sock, this pattern wouldn't have a lot of stretch so getting a good fit might be tricky. And thirdly, I'm frankly in the mood for something interesting and fun that knits up quickly in thick yarn on big needles. So a blanket it is.

Now, does anyone have any ideas about how to assemble the blocks into a blanket?

1 comment:

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

a good method to join blocks is to use a crochet join: hold right sides of blocks together and make a double crochet (uk )through both sides. Either use the same yarn or use a contrasting yarn to make the squares stand out