Thursday, February 24, 2011

wrap and turn heels


For my Knotty or Knice socks I decided to knit them exactly as written including the wrap and turn heel. Until recently I've avoided this heel, in part because I wasn't entirely confident that I was doing it correctly, and in part because the resulting heel leaves the sock tight across the ankle.

That is, I avoided this heel until I knit my Socks for Christy. In her pattern instructions, Linda Fisher explains picking up the wraps so clearly that my doubts vanished:

RS: pick up front loop of wrap from front to back, place it on the left needle and knit it together with that stitch through the back loop

WS: pick up back loop of wrap from back to front, place it on the left needle and purl 2 together

With respect to fit at the ankle, maybe a ribbed sock like this will benefit from a snug heel; otherwise it might end up baggy at the ankle. We'll see, won't we? Depending on my workload, the first sock may be done as soon as tomorrow.

1 comment:

Frieda said...

I really like your yarn for this pattern !!! I'm still not a fan of toe up socks , probably due to the wrap & turn for the heel . I can't seem to get a decent looking heel , despite all the online tutorials .