Thursday, September 29, 2011

the flake factory

high tech flake production

a medieval torture device
Blocking the first flake, spraying the stiffening solution and drying it turned out to be a messy process; much better to have a jig so I don't have to handle the soggy flake or the sticky solution. Gavin made me two jigs to block the snowflakes to a uniform and entirely symmetrical shape. The long nails suspend the snowflake above the wooden base allowing me to spray the stiffening solution on both sides, and, blow dry from both sides. From start to finish the blocking process now takes less than ten minutes. Now we're cooking.

On Wednesday I picked up a packet of larger eyes; last week's teeny tiny 7 mm eyes looked ridiculous. These are much better! I'll have to experiment to see what works best for noses and mouths. A paint pen that sounds like it might be easiest and afford me the greatest control, but if that doesn't work, plan B is to glue black yarn scraps in position.

Now for the real question: what kind of expressions should the flakes have? Of course there'll have to be some smiling flakes, but wouldn't some grumpy and goofy faces also be fun? After all, it takes all kinds, doesn't it?

And then there's the bonus question: spray glitter or not?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

yes, spray glitter. After all, snow flakes are sparkly!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes .... glitter! Anything Christmas or winter should sport a good spritz of glitter!!! ;-)

They are adorable!!!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

You gotta go sparkley!

CTJen said...

omg, those are so adorable! I love the blocking block! Such a great idea.

Delusional Knitter said...

OOhhh I think spray glitter would look fantastic!

MagicalJane said...

Brillant blocking block - that Gavin is way over the top - lucky you! I vote for no glitter .... nah, only fooling, I bet you didn't even fall for that for one second did you?