Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Work-In-Progress Wednesday


After waffling for a few days about which sock pattern to choose and what yarn to use, I've made a start on New England socks for my Year of Projects. It's a lacy sock with a central diamond motif down the leg and instep.

After looking at other Raveler's projects I concluded that a solid colour was best to show off the delicate lace pattern. But after looking through my stashed yarn I didn't find one that I liked. In fact I nearly cast on this sock in a creamy white - it would have been fine but a bit boring, right? Instead I decided to give it a go with this "peeps" colourway from Wandering Cat Yarns convinced I'd be ripping it out after an inch or two.

I will be ripping out but not because the yarn colourway is too busy for the pattern. It's knitting up beautifully, isn't it? Nope, I'm ripping out because I've misread the chart for the second time! The first time (shown above) I got ahead of myself without referring to the chart and finished the diamond pattern without realizing the next diamond should overlap. The second time (not shown) I followed the chart carefully but I missed the fact that Chart Two is not a separate chart but a continuation of the first chart on a separate page. Two steps forward, one step back!

All this ripping out is really putting a damper on my progress. Hopefully the other crafters at Tami's Amis are having a more successful week! Please consider checking out some of the links!

13 comments:

pinkundine said...

The yarn works beautifully (much nicer than cream I think). Fingers crossed for 3rd time lucky!

ElisabethAndrée said...

You are really ripping it out!? It is looking so pretty! Sometimes there are difficult moments in the creative proces, don't you think? Do you give it another try?
Thanks for your comment on my blog (lego blocks:))

Andria said...

I really like the colour of that yarn for the socks, good choice. Sorry to hear about the ripping out, I hate when that happens. The socks are going to be awesome though.

Unknown said...

Sounds like me with my cardigan I am knitting. Finish the left front only to rip it out and reknit it! Hope it continues without ripping.

Paula said...

Hooray for the yarn choice! Boo for the frogging! I can't tell you how much I feel your pain on that front! Love the pattern, too. I haven't seen that one before.

Unknown said...

That sucks that you've had challenges. I too have ripped out somethings because I missed a row and did one twice. Alas, at least you will know the pattern that much more when you start the second sock

Unknown said...

Shame, all that hard work. I hope it goes well next time. I think it looks really pretty by the way.

Thanks for sharing

x

Nicky said...

Oh no. I was like that with my riipple blanket. It will be worth it in the end tho.
Keep on trucking.

sara said...

I hate it when that happens, and you seem thrawted at every turn........the pattern is very pretty though, and well worth all that ripping back.

Anonymous said...

The yarn is beautiful! You'll be really good at it the third time!

Liz said...

The socks look great. I hope you can get it right third time lucky!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Love the socks - I had to look again when you said that was Peeps - I did not see that yarn knitting up that way!

bookworm-Mary said...

the pattern is very beautiful- I hope you get everything sorted out properly and on the right track!