Wednesday, March 28, 2012

work in progress Wednesday



The news today on the vest front is all good. I've knit the fronts to the shoulders, I've sorted out the dropped stitch on the back and now there a just a handful of rows before I work the shoulder shaping and do the 3-needle bindoffs. Once that's all done there are armhole bands and neck bands to work. Now that things are back on the rails with this project I'm feeling a lot more motivated.  My plan is to finish this vest in time for a Friday post. And based on the weather forecast for this week maybe I can even wear it on Friday.

In contrast the news on the sock front is all bad. The colourwork cuff is too tight and too inflexible for my foot. My coworker is much more petite, so the cuff fits her alright but the rest of the sock is just plain huge.  To make it work for me I'd need to reknit the cuff on larger needles. To make it work for her, I'd need to rip all the way back to the cuff and then add leg shaping to drastically reduce the number of stitches from the cuff on down. And shorten the foot by about an inch too. Both options pretty much mean starting over and I'm just not feeling motivated. I don't think I like the pattern enough to make the effort. Instead I think I'll put this single sock in a time out and move on.

Sometimes a change is as good as a rest, and with that in mind I think I'll cast on some fingerless gloves for my transit knitting today.  I have a couple of balls of Debbie Bliss cashmerino waiting for just that purpose. Besides, the vest is too much to cart around so a new small project is in order, isn't it? That's what I'll be doing over the next couple of days. To see what a crowd of other clever crafters are up to check out the links at Tami's Amis.

11 comments:

Pumpkin said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the sock, that is one of the reasons I'm too scared to knit socks for other people. Maybe just putting the sock away for a little while would help, who knows, in the meantime you might meet someone who might fit it perfectly! At least you have your pretty vest!

bookworm-Mary said...

It's a bummer about the sock, time-out is probably a good place for it.
The vest is looking really nice!! (Perhaps motivation to finish mine....)
And I totally agree with travel knitting, some things just don't travel well at all.

Carolina22 said...

Your vest is looking really good!I love it when it feels like the end is in sight! Sorry to hear about your sock. A new project sounds like a great idea to me :)

Michelle said...

:-( I'm so sorry to read about the sock. It's really pretty... I hope that after some time apart, you can revisit it.

geeky Heather said...

I love love love that vest! Gorgeous!

So sorry about the sock; that is a total bummer. =( I once took the cuff off an unsuccessful pair of socks and used them as wrist warmers. They actually do help when I'm at the office and I'm just a little chilly!

Kim Sonksen said...

I love the look of the vest. The pattern is gorgeous! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for the Friday wear, I am sure you can make it!
Bummer about the socks though

Andria said...

Yay for the vest, boo for the sock. I hate when things don't go according to plan.

Nic said...

Oh no, sorry about the sock. What a pain! The vest is looking fab though!

Liz said...

I'm sorry the sock hasn't worked out. The vest is gorgeous though! I'm glad you managed to fix your dropped stitch, and I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. :)

WildflowerWool said...

Sorry to hear about the sock troubles. I hope the vest and the fingerless mitts are working up with no problems!!

Stefanie said...

I'm sorry the colorwork sock is not working out :O(. Oh boy all that work. What a great and interesting idea you have to make it work to her foot area.

The look of your vest so far is smashing! What great colored yarn!