Thursday, August 2, 2012

Surmount the Stash August Update


Once again it's time to evaluate my progress towards my goals to Surmount the Stash. This month's news is better than last month's. Considering how badly I did last month, how could it not?

Monthly budget of $50 for all knitting related expenses: Last month I completely blew it and ended with a deficit of $315.50. This month I didn't spend a penny. Not one cent! I've knit entirely from stash and entirely with patterns I already own. As a result, my deficit comes down to $265.50. Yes there's still a lot of work to do here, but I've made a good start!

Manage my WIPs: There is one project that has been on the needles for weeks now - my Smitten Advent calendar - so I'm determined to finish that up as soon as the Ravellenic Games are done. Other than that, the parade of FOs continued in July - three Miranda hats and three pairs of socks.

Plan projects to work through my inventory of yarns in my Stash: I'm calling this month Oddball August with a plan to work through all those oddballs and leftover bits in my stash. Modwitch (Rav name) has the idea of collecting all these in a basket - we work through as much as we can through the month and then donate the rest at the end of the month. Sounds like a good idea so I'll join in on that too. I'll be collecting up my stash of acrylic worsted, making as many hats, mini mittens and softies as I can. At the same time, my Year of Projects patterns should provide plenty of scope for using up oddments of sock yarn ... have a look at this project for a good example.

Now about that basket ...

4 comments:

stitchin' girl said...

O.K. This is an admirable goal - one that I attempt every year and fail miserably! I think you are on the right track!! Good luck!

Grace Paretree said...

Me too! Stash just seems to get bigger and bigger - but then, you need some yarn in casae you run out! I like - and am a bit scared by - the budgeting for yarn! Good luck!

Vivian said...

I admire you for not buying yarn for an entire month!

Your silk hanky Clapotis looks amazing.

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

Yay, I'm glad you're back on track. I like the ideas for August - I use a lot of my scraps for granny squares, and when I do a 12 inch square I can really fly through my stash.