Tuesday, November 13, 2012

a field trip


Since I had to head downtown today for an appointment with the eye doctor, I figured I may as well check out a new yarn store that's a 15 minute walk from the doctor's office. It's called EweKnit and it's situated in the main floor of an old house in Mirvish Village. I'm so glad I did because it's lovely.

The rooms are very bright, spacious and everywhere you look ... gorgeous yarn. It was almost overwhelming, especially when faced with an entire wall of Koigu! Wow! Alongside the Malabrigo and Misty Alpaca hang skeins of Sweet Georgia yarns, and my goodness are there some beautiful colourways! If I could have settled for just one or two, some of that would definitely have fallen into my shopping basket, but in the end I just couldn't decide. Spoiled for choice.

Instead I stuck to plan and picked up 5 skeins of a DK weight yarn - Berroco Vintage, a reasonably inexpensive wool/acrylic blend. Tomorrow I'm picking up a new-to-me Ashford Rigid Heddle Loom and I wanted yarn with enough wool content to be stretchy and forgiving for my first attempts, but not expensive in case the first attempts are disastrous. The loom is an early birthday present, with thanks to Gavin. Over the last few days I've been watching YouTube videos to prepare but I'm so not prepared. I've ordered the book Weaving Made Easy  - it got the best all round reviews from what I could see. My plan is to warp something up and see what happens. Wish me luck.

Now if only I could figure out some way to make it to knit nights at EweKnit. The atmosphere of the shop is so charming and relaxing ... I really can't wait to go back.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at all those COLORS!!!

Good luck with the new loom. I know you'll be an expert real soon.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Ooh - I'm very jealous of your loom - I want one but I keep telling myself I don't need another hobby!

WildflowerWool said...

Weaving - that sounds so fun! Can't wait to see pictures!!

Stefanie said...

The bright colors are so enticing!

Unknown said...

I wish I had a more local shop I enjoyed. The one that is closest is not my thing. Pushy owner. The one I adore is an hour's drive. I get up there once a quarter. A new one run by a friend is about 30 minutes away. it might be a place to sit and be, but too new to tell. The last is 30 minutes the other way, and too packed with stuff and "regulars" for comfort. They actually stare you down when you come in. Very off putting, even to one who is fearless. I wish we had the shop I worked at back. But she closed up due to finances. Sorry for the rant. LOL

Frieda said...

Ooh , that looks like a super shop ! I don't know how you managed to control yourself and not one little skein of that beautiful yarn came home with you . You're a better person than me !

Good luck with the new loom . I'm sure you'll do fine with the challenge . I just have to look at your FOs , you've got skills ...

Caffeine Girl said...

It's always so fun to go to a new yarn shop. It looks like a gorgeous shop -- and I think you were quite restrained!