Friday, December 21, 2012

Finished Object Friday


Pattern: Heelless Sleeping Socks from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush

Yarn: unknown self-patterning yarn from the Wabi Sabi sale bin with On Your Toes stripes in cream.

Modifications: My usual wedge toe.

Comments: On Wednesday I thought there might be enough self-patterning yarn to finish the toe of the second sock to match the first. WRONG. I ended up ripping back the toe of the first sock and re-knitting that toe in mostly cream colour. Then using the recovered coloured yarn to add a similar but not matching final stripe to the second sock. I don't think the mismatch is too startling, do you? 

My friend Shirley picked this pattern and has been repeatedly begging me to knit them for her. I can't stand tube socks myself - with my pointy heels and high arches that's just too much fabric bunching up at the ankle. But Shirley insists that tube socks fit her better than anything else. So to each their own.

The leg of the sock was almost entirely purled, the pattern is created by columns of single knit stitches that shift left every four rows. The more I thought about this, the more sensible it seemed to me as it would leave the inside of the sock as mainly knit stitches, which would be comfortable against one's sole no matter how the sock was arranged on the foot. Often with Nancy Bush patterns it's just best to knit as written rather than start second guessing so that's what I did.

That's one more Christmas present done, so I'm pleased about that. And then after reviewing my list I felt badly that there was nothing hand-knit for my brother-in-law. I had tentatively planned to knit Henry for him, but I never decided upon a suitable yarn and it just didn't get done. Instead I decided to knit up a washcloth using the Chinese Waves pattern. I've done this pattern before; the result is a nicely textured thick cloth, perfect to pair up with this handmade Sweetgrass soap. And I know for a fact he'll like that. Seems to me we've discussed how much we both love the smell of sweetgrass.

Happy holidays, merry Christmas or cheers to whatever you celebrate :) And presuming the Mayans got it wrong, see you on the other side! It's not just the end of the world, it's also finished object Friday over at Tami's Amis, so please take a few minutes to have a look at all the great work that's been done! 




17 comments:

Unknown said...

People always tell me they hate mistakes/issues with knitting. I say, what other craft allows you to back up without losing material? I don't think it's noticeable at all. Love the soft colors. Merry Christmas!

Sandra said...

Wow!
I think is really difficult work with self stripes yarns if you want two simetrical socks!
But I love the colors!
And the dishcloths and the soap is a baeutiful gift! :-)

Anonymous said...

I think they look great, but I'm with you. I can't imagine that tube socks would fit me very well either.

Merry Christmas!

Linda said...

Your socks look lovely. I made heel less socks too for some gifts.

bookworm-Mary said...

Washcloths are the best last minute gift! I've never paired mine with soap--- saving that idea for next year! :)
Merry Christmas!

Handmade by Stefanie said...

Love the socks, that is one of my favorite Sock books!

Deb Hickman said...

Gorgeous socks, love the pretty colours. Merry Christmas. Deb x

Vivian said...

That's super good matching for self striping yarn. I was never able to do that.

I've had Henry in my queue for the longest time. My son's name is Henry and I really want to knit it for him. It's a very handsome pattern.

Spinster Beth said...

I love the way those socks striped with the pattern in the background ... genius!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

They look great - I think the toes are fine!

Nancy McCarroll said...

Impressive matching stripes! Will look at this pattern.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

They came out great! I like all kinds of socks and wear thicker tube socks in my boots and sometimes my sneakers..

stitchin' girl said...

I am totally amazed that your stripes match up!! They look great! I love washcloths too. I have made batches of them for my mother-in-law because she not only likes them, but uses them as well :o)

Yarn Changer said...

Socks look great. I had to check them three times to find the difference in the stripes. Merry Christmas!

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Lovely socks, I think i agree that socks are better with a heel though! Hope you have a great holiday :)

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

These look great! I can't even believe they've been reknit. Another awesome and inspiring stashbuster!

Stefanie said...

The vintage vibe of these socks are groovy! Great problem solving on your part. What a relief to have a back up plan for your bil.