Monday, January 21, 2013

Booties


On Saturday at the knitting club at the Public Library the ladies were talking about booties. I guess they're having a bit of a KAL. The pattern they're using is a very traditional one - something like this - but I've always thought this Moc-A-Soc pattern looked just darling. And now I have a reason to knit it.

It's knit flat and seamed, which took me aback when I first looked at it, but after knitting a few I think I'll continue that way rather than adjusting to knit in the round. After all, it's a pretty small seam to sew up and it does mean there are no jogs in the garter pattern. And it's surprisingly not too fiddly - I'm not even fed up with it yet and I'm already on number 3.

I'm using sock yarn leftovers from my stash with a plan to donate them to the Warm Hands Network. They provide items to a number of prenatal clinics and new Mom groups in the northern reserves, so these will definitely be put to good use. Because of the cold temperatures - it's -35°C in Moose Factory today - they specifically request superwash wool. Knitting the boot part of the pattern with fingering weight rather than sport weight results in a finished product that's on the small side. Essentially, when I knit the pattern as written for the 6-12 month size I end up with a 0-6 months size bootie, measuring 4" on the length of the sole. I might play around a bit with the numbers to see if I can make some a little bigger, but for now I'm just having way too much fun knitting these as written.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are adorable! I'm sure they will be much appreciated by the group too.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Those are so cute! I clicked on the pattern and the Mary Jane ones are so awesome! I just had a baby girl cousin born...so maybe...

Evelyn said...

These are truly perfect booties! Love your color choices, too.

Unknown said...

Ohhh these are darling!! I love the colours you have used too.

Unknown said...

I love that pattern too. But I hate seaming such a small area of garter, so I convert to in the round as soon as possible. Makes for an interesting cuff

Stefanie said...

Baby feet are small and booties can easily be kicked off so good that yours run on the small side. These are fantastic!

Tracy said...

They really are lovely and such a nice cause to knit them for :)