Thursday, April 25, 2013

FO: Sarcelle Scarf


Pattern: Sarcelle, finished size: 60" x 14"

Yarn: Schoppel-Wolle Lace Ball

Needles: size 2 (2.75 mm)

Modifications: Shortened even section by two repeats to squeak through with one ball.

Comments: Love, LOVE, love the pattern - so pretty and so easy! It's really well written, with increase and decrease sections entirely explained and stitch counts provided for easy double-checking. I think it'd be incredibly pretty in fingering weight too. What attracted me primarily to the pattern is that it's knit on the bias; I wanted to see the colour transitions of this yarn on the diagonal rather than in stripes.

The point of this project was to knit this particular ball of lace yarn in my stash - after binding off the last stitch I have less than a gram left. Why yes, I did play chicken with the yarn all the way to the end, thank you for asking. The finished project is striking but I'm hoping to never knit this kind of yarn again. Why? Knots, breaks, endless sections of thick and thin ... it really was one of the most frustrating balls of yarn I've ever encountered. And it's not particularly soft either, although it's improved after a Eucalan bath.

All's well that ends well though. Linda loves her new scarf, and I like it better than I thought I would. And fortunately Linda's petiteness means that the shortened version is still ample for her.

9 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

It turned out great! too bad about the yarn though - I've eyed it many times.

Stefanie said...

She absolutely adores it; look at that smile of hers. Great job on this lacey scarf.

Anonymous said...

It looks great!

My LYS owner recommended hair conditioner for NORO to make it softer. Wonder if it would work for the yarn you used?

Love the pattern and the shading. GORGEOUS!

Unknown said...

For unpleasant yarn, that scarf still looks great!

Elisabeth Andree said...

The shawl looks very beautiful. Really sorry about the yarn, it is frustrating:(

Vivian said...

That's interesting about the yarn. We sell it at the shop too, I should take a closer look at it. The scarf looks great on the recipient. Yes, smaller scarf on a small person always works well :-)

Alittlebitsheepish said...

It looks lovely, working it so the colour changes are on the bias is a super idea

Carmela Biscuit said...

Very beautiful scarf, despite the frustrating yarn. The lace pattern and the color transitions are magnificent!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

It looks great on her - what a wonderful gift. I hate when the yarn fights you, but it looks amazing.