Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Work-in-Progress Wednesday

Almost from the moment I cast off Cladonia on Sunday evening, I've been working on Summer Flies. You see I'm hoping to complete it in time for my Sister's birthday ... cast off no later than Friday evening, block and gift on Saturday. Seemed like a crazy plan, but now that I find myself more than halfway on Wednesday morning, I think it can be done!

The shawl is written for worsted or DK weight yarn, so it's working up pretty quickly. Because of the larger gauge there are considerably fewer stitches and rows than you'd find in a pattern written for lace weight or fingering weight. I'm using Shelridge Farms Soft Touch DKW - a superwash wool in a colourway that matches the top I gave my sister last year. In fact, one of the two skeins I'm using is leftover from that pullover - luckily I was able to pick up the last skein in that dyelot a few weeks ago at the DKC Knitter's Frolic.

Since Sunday I've completed three butterfly sections and four sections of ridged eyelet. Like so many Ravelers before me, I added an additional section of each for a bigger shawl. I'm just about to start the knotted openwork section, which is written as seven patterned rows but I'll work thirteen before buckling down for the ruffled edge and picot bind-off. With shawls I usually find it hard to estimate my progress. Not this time; I have two skeins, I've knit one, so I'm at least half way.

It's work-in-progress Wednesday, and I can't be the only person knitting as if my life depended on it, can I? Why not take some time to click through the links at Tami's Amis to see what other crafters are doing?!

17 comments:

Ike Keidi Ang said...

Already got myself this pattern however haven't got the time to start casting on. I love the colour that you chose, it is so pretty.

Babajeza said...

I'm sure you can do it. The shawl looks beautiful. I just found a quite similar yarn in my stash I could use for a shawl. But there are other things waiting first. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

WildflowerWool said...

I have wanted to knit that shawl forever. Right about now I would love to knit a shawl in worsted weight. I have 3 lace weight shawls on the needles and they are sooooooo slow!!
Good luck with the Saturday deadline.

Unknown said...

I keep looking at this pattern, and then discard it. Yours might tip it back on the queue. LOL!

Barbara at Knitting | Work in Progress said...

Completely do-able. (Hey, we're knitters, which means we're sometimes self-delusional.)

I, too, am working like the dickens to finish a project by the end of the week. Will it happen? Maybe, maybe not ...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful color.

I'm not knitting on a deadline. But, I'm working on the same old pair of socks and I really would like to get them DONE! Maybe tonight.

Evelyn said...

Ahh, I've always wanted to knit both those shawls. Your plan is not crazy ... it's called love!

Sarah ~ Crafts from the Cwtch said...

Looking great - good luck with the deadline! :)

Jazz said...

Lovely color and amazing project!

bookworm-Mary said...

I hope you make your deadline--- so far it looks great! I've wanted to make a Summer Flies for ages, so I'm anxious to see how long it takes you to make!

Anonymous said...

You can definitely get it done in time! All you need is a plan which you have :-) Good luck!

Spinster Beth said...

That's a lovely shawl ... must go add to queue ...

Anonymous said...

You can finish it I'l bet and it is such a wonderful colour. Looking forward to seeing it as a fo :)

Andria said...

Oh WOW, what a pretty pattern. Your sister is lucky!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

I'm sending my speedy knitting vibes your way. I know all about those last minute gift shawls - you can do it!

sweetpea family said...

Your shawl is beautiful x

Stefanie said...

Oh oops! Thought I had seen lace in the suggested yarn section. The color is rich. I can't believe you whipped this out in less than a week.