Thursday, January 23, 2014

FO: Pembroke-ish Vest

Pattern: Pembroke Vest by Kristen Kapur

Yarn: Malabrigo Rio in Natural colour

Needle Size: US 5 (3.75 mm)

Modifications: 
The pattern is written to knit flat but I chose to knit in the round from the bottom ribbed band to the armholes. Also, most Raveler's commented about it knitting up huge, so I reduced the number of stitches I cast on to 108 for a newborn size.  As for the ribbing at the bottom, I changed the pattern to flow into the charts above it and I added a couple of rounds because ... well ... because I like ribbing.

Based on notes from other Ravelers, I switched the cable pattern at the centre to a braided cable. After working armhole decreases to 42 sts, I worked the rest of the armhole, v-neck and shoulders as written, although I did finish and bind off the ribbed bands after 3 rows rather than 5 rows.

Comments: 
Thank goodness for all the careful notes from other Ravelers! Isn't that one of the best things about Ravelry; seeing what others have done, seeing what worked and what didn't? It's been an awesome resource for me. I'm really happy with all the modifications. The size looks perfect - it's 16" circumference unstretched, and it's really stretchy. So stretchy in fact that I could fit my own head through if I had to!

It still needs blocking and buttons .... I'm waiting to hear confirmation of the sex of the baby before I commit to buttons. All in all, the finished vest took 74 grams of yarn, leaving me with 15 grams from the two skeins after knitting an In Threes Baby Cardigan earlier this week and now this little vest. Two skeins = two gifts with very little to leftover. I like that math!

6 comments:

Stefanie said...

What a cute, classic vest. Great job, Lynn.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

There's nothing cuter than a baby vest - except maybe baby shoes!
It looks great. I love the braided cable.

Anonymous said...

Very cute! That's a lotta!!!! cables.

:-) Congrats on the finish.

Unknown said...

I may have to do this a third time and use the braid in place of the center cable. It is such a sweet and quick vest. Yours is adorable!

Anonymous said...

Well that looks beautiful, I love the cables. Love your work!

Carolina22 said...

Very cute and classy! Ravelry is amazing. Whatever did we do before it?!