Tuesday, May 20, 2014

FO: Sophie

Pattern: Sophie by Ysolda Teague

Yarn: Cloud Cotton

Needles Size: US 6 (4 mm)

Modifications: None. Ysolda has thought of everything and I wouldn't change a thing!

Comments: Pat's granddaughter was born several days ago, but the newborn sized vest I made is already too small. Much too small. It was a risk I knowingly took so I'm not too annoyed about it. Instead I decided to make something else ... something that wouldn't be outgrown ... like a stuffed animal.

When I saw this pattern I knew it'd be just perfect for the pink Cloud Cotton in my stash. I bought the pink yarn to make a sweater for my sister who, I learned, does not like pink. Better to put that aside until the right pattern presented itself. It's so perfect, in fact, that I'm considering making another couple. Or maybe a set with Ysolda's other toy patterns.

The head is knit first, in the round. Then stitches are picked up from the base of the head for the body. Similarly stitches are picked up from the body for the arms and legs. And finally, stitches are picked up from the top of the head for the ears. The first yarn end of each element is knotted and buried inside the stuffed toy. The final yarn end of each element is threaded back into the stuffing inside the toy. No seams, no sewing and pretty much no finishing. Even the embroidery for the face is easy peasy. And I just love how the decreases create the shape of the bunny's cheeks and nose.

8 comments:

Delusional Knitter said...

Very cool! Looks perfect in pink. I like that the finishing is so easy, sounds like a great pattern.

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwww...there is nothin' cuter than a pink bunny!

That is one to be loved for a lifetime!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Cute! Stuffed animals make the perfect baby gift because you're right - they can't be outgrown!

Barbara at Knitting | Work in Progress said...

So completely charming, so delightfully distracting ... but will resist the urge (am committed to staying focused ; )

Anonymous said...

So cute! That's a winner I reckon and sure to become a faithful friend.

Unknown said...

Adorable! I am making Elefante by Susan A right now for my great-niece to be. I hate making sutffed toys, but love these little ones enough to swallow that dislike. But I would much rather make sweaters for them.

Frieda said...

Love that sweet pink bunny ! Because of your comments about the assembly I might just add this pattern to the queue . I intensely dislike the fiddly bits with knitted toys so this one might be right up my alley . I know a baby or two who would just love to have one . Now could you please stop finding patterns for me to add to my queue ;-) .

Stefanie said...

Kawaii. It will be well loved.