Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Work-in-Progress Wednesday

For the next several days I plan to knit monogamously on projects already on needles. First up is this Kandahar sock. I've finished the leg of the first sock and am facing the heel set-up chart next.

I'm not enamoured with the yarn and with every stitch I hate it more. I ordered almost a dozen skeins online with the idea of knitting a lightweight baby shawl but when the yarn arrived it was clearly too thin, too splitty and too scratchy. So it's destined to be socks. Maybe it'll soften up with a washing or two?

I'm not enamoured with the pattern either - although it's growing on me - so it has been hard to find motivation. The pattern in one of seventeen from the book Socktopus which I am knitting as part of KAL on Ravelry. I'll concede right now that I might really like this pattern with a softer, squishier yarn but this yarn needs to be made into socks so I'm pushing on with it. After looking at the projects for this pattern in Ravelry I really wanted to knit the pattern in a solid colour, so my stash choices were limited. The pattern already looks nicer worn than on the needles, so maybe I'll continue to warm up to it!

The good news is my friend Nancy has let me know that she'll happily take the finished socks off my hands. After scrunching the sock and the yarn, she thinks the yarn isn't too scratchy at all. Nancy also has considerably smaller feet than me, so that's more good news.

The big news is that my Willow Ware kit arrived in the mail yesterday! A fellow Raveler bought the kit at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival, but decided that the pattern was so intricate and so much work that she wouldn't enjoy knitting it. Instead she offered it for sale to recoup her initial investment. I've been mooning over this pattern for ages and I can't believe my luck to get a kit. The yarn is Tsilk Tstocking -  a 30% silk + 70% wool blend which is custom spun to the designer's exacting specifications with a "high hosiery twist" for an attractive sheen and wonderful stitch definition. I can't wait to try it!

Happy Wednesday! After a holiday Monday, we're on a short work week here in Canada so it's hard to imagine it's Wednesday already. This week is flying by! I'm linking up with Tami's Amis for Work-in-Progress Wednesday - why not click through to see what the others are working on?!

17 comments:

Frieda said...

Willow Ware should be a pleasure to knit , just for the yarn alone which looks absolutely gorgeous . Too daunting a pattern for me to try , but you are definitely up for the challenge .

I love the Kandahar socks , too bad the yarn is such a bust . My experience with Elann sock yarn was much the same . They do have some very nice yarns though to be fair .

Wanderingcatstudio said...

The socks are looking good, but it's no fun knitting when you don't like the project.

I love Willow Ware.We had the Blue Willow dining set for years(I still have a piece or two). When I saw the pattern I wanted to make them, but my skills totally aren't up to it!

Anonymous said...

Kandahar looks nice. But, I'm really looking forward to seeing that Willow Ware sock. That should be AWESOME!

bookworm-Mary said...

I like the cables on your sock- its unfortunate that you cant love it as much as you would like. The Willow Ware looks awesome though, and I hope to see it soon!

MagicalJane said...

Goodness me, I look forward to seeing those Willow Ware socks in production. Your most challenging yet?

Ginx Craft said...

Willow Ware socks. Can't wait to see them.

Unknown said...

I hate when the yarn and pattern just aren't appealing. But the sock is lovely.

Alicia said...

I admire you fortitude in continuing to knit a project where you dislike both yarn and pattern! I would've quit long ago and destashed the yarn.

Anonymous said...

Hate it when yarn doesn't live up to expectations! Thanks for sharing.

Catherine said...

Those Willowware socks look fabulous. I hope you blog your progress with lots of pics. Thank you for commenting on my blog, I shall certainly consider my year a success if I get some of the resolutions done!

unionjgirl said...

Hopefully pushing through Kandahar will just make Willow Ware all the more enjoyable for you. Sometimes you just have to knit though it, I guess.

Stefanie said...

The stitch definition is pretty awesome for splitty yarn.

Sam I Am...... said...

Thanks for the tip about trying on the sock. Susan Anderson says to make it about 2.5 or is it 1.5 inches shorter than your foot and then do the toe.
The Willow Ware sock pattern looks totally impossible but if anyone can do it, you can! LOL! You continue to be my role model when it comes to sock knitting.

Unknown said...


Love the Willow Pattern Socks! have you completed them? I look forward to seeing pictures.
Thanks

Unknown said...

Hi! Have you completed this pattern? I would love to see some photos of your cuff and tips on how you found the reading the patterns.

Judy said...

How did the Willow Ware socks go? Do you have a photo of them? Did you by chance put it aside? ummm :) Yes, I realize I'm responding to a post from 6 years ago :) Are you looking to sell the kit? Let me know your thoughs... thanks.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

In fact I did NOT finish Willow Ware - I found the Intarsia very tiresome. I ended up selling the pattern on Ravelry.