Sunday, June 15, 2014

Year of Projects 3: V Junkie 02

SOCKTOPUS: Totally Vanilla • Kandahar • V Junkie • Kwalla • Farmer McGregor • Shur'tugal • 2luvcrew • Vorticity • Rumpled! • Crowley • Om Shanti • Mince Pie Mayhem • Hundred Acre Wood • De Stijl • Fiori di Zucca • Caretta Caretta • Spring Shoots

I've made good progress this week on this V Junkie pattern - the first sock is done, and I'm two-thirds of the way on the second sock. I still don't love this sock pattern, but I'm more ambivalent about it than when I started. The finished sock looks much more attractive when worn so that's good. And I do like the heel. It's a short row wrap and turn heel worked in garter stitch, and it has a rustic look that I find really appealing. It feels a bit mismatched on this sock, to my way of thinking, but I like it.

This Elann A-Series S01 yarn in Delft Blue is also much nicer than the same yarn in the bleached oak colourway that I used for the last pair of socks. It's softer, more evenly dyed and less splitty. You wouldn't even think they were the same base! If only you could be sure it's all like this batch, it'd be a tremendous deal for heavy fingering superwash/nylon sock yarn at $2.50 per 50 gram ball. It might still be worth the risk. I'm going to finish these socks, wash and wear them a few times, and then decide whether this really is an economical work horse sock yarn.

Now, I'd better run through the shower before my guests arrive! It's a beautiful sunny day and I've got chores to do.

13 comments:

Reney said...

They look great! I would be curious as to your final verdict on the sock yarn, because at that price point, you've got me curious enough to consider them as well!!! Enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your feeling a bit happier with the socks now and it is lovely worn. I hope the yarn turns out to wash and wear well.

Lucy Bowen said...

Love them (or soon to be 'them'). The colour is fabulous - I hope the yarn feels nice on.

Christine said...

Lovely socks! I think I just got the same Socktopus booms out of the library last week! I am in love with lots of the designs... I may have to take some of them on...

Stefanie said...

Do socks with a stitch pattern like that stand up well in the leg area? It looks really good. You go on entertaining. I'm totally pooped after today's luncheon.

Barbara at Knitting | Work in Progress said...

Charming socks, and you're making great headway. Have to agree with your observation. The body and heel stitches are each lovely in their own right, but quite different in look/feel.

Renee Anne said...

I do like those :) I would wonder about the stretch, however. I'm usually having to alter patterns in some way to get a fit that works for me...either by larger needle size or changing the stitch count.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the heel, but it does add a bit of interest. The pattern is very pretty on.

Sam I Am...... said...

Those socks are lovely especially the color really makes the design stand out. How strange about the yarn being so different based on color or batches. Have a great time with your guests and a great week.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I do like that shade of blue - very rich and deep!

Frieda said...

The blue is really pretty . Glad that it is a better knitting experience than with the bleached oak coloured yarn . I like the pattern , especially the V shape on the instep .

Unknown said...

That's a wonderful looking heel. I really like it. How on earth do you knit socks so fast??

Caffeine Girl said...

That is a very cool pattern. I so admire your commitment to finish each pattern whether you like the knitting of it or not.