Saturday, June 28, 2014

Year of Projects 3: Year End Wrap Up

SOCKTOPUS: Totally Vanilla • Kandahar • V Junkie • Kwalla • Farmer McGregor • Shur'tugal • 2luvcrew • Vorticity • Rumpled! • Crowley • Om Shanti • Mince Pie Mayhem • Hundred Acre Wood • De Stijl • Fiori di Zucca • Caretta Caretta • Spring Shoots

Hard to believe that we've come to the end of another Year of Projects. And although it's the end of that KAL, three sock patterns remain for the Socktopus KAL. I'll add them to the beginning of my next Year of Projects before moving onto another book.

It's nice to review the past year of projects; to make it easier, I've put together an animated GIF showing each finished pair. For the three to-be-knit patterns I've allocated stash yarn and shown that in place of a FO photo. If you're wondering, I've decided on Sokkusu O yarn in "Madder" colourway for Rumpled, Super Cash Sock in "Cocoa Dusted Truffle" colourway for Om Shanti and Twisted House Cat in "Frog Prince" for Farmer McGregor.

Through the year, readers have commented about my determination to knit every pattern, whether I like it or not. So far, that determination has served me well. In many cases the patterns I don't like before starting, I like better after finishing. Often, those patterns also introduce me to unfamiliar techniques and new heel constructions. And sometimes the socks I don't like are sought after by others. Each to his own. My conclusion is that knitting every pattern makes me a better knitter.

I've also found the KAL experience to be very positive. Having deadlines and being accountable keeps me on track and seems to be the cure for both Startitis and Second Sock Syndrome. Knitting along puts me in a pool of other knitters who can give helpful tips, supportive encouragement and sometimes, constructive criticism. And there's nothing wrong with winding up with more than a dozen pairs of gorgeous hand knit socks! Some to keep and some to give away.

We're headed to a cottage up at Stoney Lake for a bit, so I'm posting this update a day early. I've already packed my knitting so there's sure to be a good update when I get back. Have a great weekend one and all! Happy Canada Day to my countryfolk and Happy 4th of July to my friends south of the border.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, how nice is this way to see all your beautiful socks! Great work!

Anonymous said...

Happy Canada Day ....enjoy your vacation. :-)

Barbara at Knitting | Work in Progress said...

What a wonderful collection of socks and a nice reminder of all you've accomplished this past year. Looking forward to seeing more.

Anonymous said...

What a great collection of socks, you did amazingly well and I think your right every pattern whether we like it or not does make us better knitters.

Christine said...

Rumpled is on my list for year 4! I love that book... Giving it back to the library is going to be hard ;).

Enjoy your well deserved break and have a great canada day!

Leftycrafter said...

Love all the socks you did. You inspire me to keep trying new things with sock. Looking forward to what you choose next year to do.

Sam I Am...... said...

It has been so nice getting to know you and being inspired by you and your sock knitting. Although I didn't get any finished this year, your advice on different aspects has kept me going and I'm hoping I will have some socks to wear before Winter!
I think I counted 13 pairs of socks you made and each pair was so unique both pattern wise and yarn wise. I love the yarns you have picked out for the last 3 and I do like your idea of KALs and choosing a book....although there's so many I like! Drat! But hopefully I am getting a little faster too. Learning can be very time consuming but I know there is lots more for me to learn. Thank you for all the inspiration this year!
Have a wonderful vacation and Happy Canada Day to you!

Sam I Am...... said...

I wrote an essay and it did not post...ahhh! To summarize...your socks are gorgeous and I love the yarn you have picked out for the next 3. 13 pair of socks you made! Amazing...I need to get going so I have some this Winter.
I love KALS too and I like the idea of choosing a book except I like so many. Have a great vacation and Happy Canada Day to you too!

Lucy Bowen said...

Your socks are absolutely gorgeous. More than the socks, you have some great new techniques under your belt (and some gorgeous socks!) I will always know where to come for sock advice, when I finally get round to knitting some!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I admire your determination to press on with all the patterns - I couldn't do it!

Stefanie said...

Oh, your cottage holiday sounds lovely! It's amazing how many socks you've accomplished in this past year. You go.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

I admire you..and can't wait to see what the next book is.....I've got many of the sock books, but have yet to finish a pattern from them...