Friday, May 8, 2015

FO: Arkin Socks and Willow Socklets

As well as being terribly behind on knitting goals, I'm also woefully behind on blogging. And starting today I hope to catch up. Since it's Friday - or Finished Object Friday as it's known in some circles - I'll start with these two FOs.

Pattern: Arkin Socks by Rachel Coopey

Yarn: Sock Luck by Studio June Yarn in turquoise

Needles: 2.25mm on legs, 2.0 mm on heels and feet

Modifications: none

Comments: My friend asked me to knit some socks for her Mom so these are them. The cables are slightly asymmetrical - which I kinda like - and the lengths go from short to long around the leg - which I also like. Other than the cable details on the leg the pattern is a pretty basic ribbed sock, so the fit is great.

The way the pattern was written, though, I did not like. It was mostly written with one tiny chart for the cables. It would have been so easy to write it all and/or chart it all, but why do half of one and half of the other?


Pattern: Willow Socklets by Tyrneathem

Needles: 1.75 mm

Modifications: knit on 66 sts omitting one pattern repeat

Comments: The finished pair of Arkin socks took just 60 grams of yarn leaving me with enough for some ankle socks! After skimming through the project notes of other Ravelers I determined that the socks would likely be too large as written (both Nancy and her Mom have tiny feet) so I reduced the number of stitches by omitting one pattern repeat and switched down to tiny needles. The finished size looks about perfect.

It's a very simple pattern for a very pretty little pair of summery ankle socks. Once again it's mostly rib with some eyelet lace columns so the fit should be great. I did manage to squeak these out of the leftover 40 grams, but it was close!

Have a great weekend! Nancy and I are headed to the Spring Handmade Market this weekend, so that'll be fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both pairs look great. It's amazing you could get a whole pair of socks out of the leftover.

I have to admit, I'd be stressing about it the whole way. LOL

Stefanie said...

These are so pretty! The stitch patterns make me think of dyed sand molds. My oldest would love this turquoise.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Great socks - but of course, I'm partial to the anklet... :)