Sunday, December 11, 2016

Year of Projects 6: Week 24


To overdye or Not to overdye, that is the question
As expected my pink socks are done, but I'm still up in the air about whether to overdye them or not. Using photoshop I tried to simulate what the overdyed result might look like with three different food colours, but there's no guarantee that my simulations will be accurate. I am leaning towards the Sky Blue food colouring - I find it unifies the cuff and leg yarns and is a bit brighter than the teal food colouring. The burgundy seems a bit darker and more intense than I think I want. But what do you think?

The toe colour is darker than I'd hoped but it really was the only stash yarn that I had that in anyway complemented the leg and foot colour. There was another yarn that I had in mind but after knitting several rounds it turned out to be self-striping which added another unwelcome element of contrast. I put that aside for another pair of socks.

I knit a super long cuff - mainly to use up a bunch of this Louet Fingering yarn that has no nylon content - but I think I like this style. It keeps the leg nice and snug. I suppose you could also roll the cuff over by half. I think I remember doing this as a young girl with my knee socks?

MKAL clues 1 and 2
Once the pink socks were done I was supposed to go back to sock two of my Thornfield socks. I didn't though. Instead a MKAL caught my attention on Ravelry and in a blink of an eye I'd purchased the pattern and signed up for the knit-along. I've knit clue 1 (the cuff) and clue 2 (the leg) of the first sock so far. Clue 3 doesn't come out until the end of the week so I think I'll shift sock one onto scrap yarn and knit sock two to the same point.

You may be surprised to see me knitting pink yarn again. I'm sure I've mentioned that it's really not my favourite colour?! This time around these socks are to be a gift for someone who specifically asked for a pretty, girly pair of pink socks. So pink it is. I bought the yarn on Friday at Spun Fiber Arts. It's Peppino from the Yarns of Richard Devreize and what gorgeous yarn it is to knit! Perfect weight for fine socks, very smooth and springy yarn, lots of twist, and a distinctly lanolin feel to it. I'm really enjoying knitting with it. I am already imagining knitting various Rachel Coopey colourwork socks with it... like Alfrick or Twylla. With two skeins yielding 440 yards I'm bound to have lots leftover!

So that's my week's work cut out for me. And that second Thornfield socks really DOES need to be done by Christmas, so I'd better get going on it!

12 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

Okay, I am REALLY jealous of your snow and I'm not even the jealous type except when it comes to a good blizzard! I'm sorry about your shoveling and such but trust me....if I was there I would be out there helping you! I love being out in it (at home....not necessarily on the road). I can remember when I had my farm, going out to the barn to feed the horses and they were so warm I would hug them if I got cold. When I got back to the house I would make a Black Bart (nothing warms you like this drink!) hot cocoa, a shot of spiced rum, a tablespoon of Grand Marnier and you will be taking off the layers! (You might want to start with 1/2 shot of the rum if you are a novice) LOL! Make sure you are in for the night after this toddy!
As for your socks....I tend to like the maroon over dye but I also like the original so don't pay any attention to me....they're your socks. I love the MKAL pattern! Snowflakes! Don't tempt me! LOL! I was saving my Christmas yarn for Little Bobbin's Christmas Eve cast on. Hmmm, I wonder if I have any other sock yarn laying around? I definitely need a bigger stash. I'm putting stash enhancement on my 2017 goals for next year....so far that's the only goal...Ha! Ha! Stay warm and get yourself some rum and hot chocolate and some orange liquer...there's cheaper stuff than Grand Marnier but Captain Morgan's Spiced rum is the best! I hear it's going to be a long winter. Have a great week!

Caffeine Girl said...

Great socks! I love the way you've made matching socks from leftovers. That is just brilliant.
The snowflake pattern on the pink socks is very pretty and the recipient will love them.

Anonymous said...

I actually like the "burgundy" sock dye the best. I think it compliments the foot color the best.

The MKAL sock is beautiful and certainly will fit the bill for a "girly" sock! Happy knitting!

Anonymous said...

Burgundy is unique. Sky Blue rocks too. Teal, I can't tell that it looks different from Sky Blue.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I like the burgundy option the best, though I'm partial to burgundy.

Renee Anne said...

I'm not jealous of your snow. I'm glad to be shot of it, to be honest. As for the socks, I think I'd go with the sky blue as well. It doesn't matter much what the toes look like because they'll be covered in a shoe, right?

sharon said...

Love the socks I like the sky blue, but the burgundy is nice too. The snowflake sock looks lovely. Keep warm in your blizzard

Cyra said...

I rather like the burgundy coloured socks as well as the original colour. Love the pink sock with the beautiful snowflake design on. Spun Fiber Arts sounds a great event, glad you added to your stash with that.

Breathing Life said...

We have had lots of snow here this week too - which gives me an excuse to stay in and knit.

I love your multicoloured socks - stash busting at its finest!

Leftycrafter said...

I'm gonna throw a wrench into your sock dying........I say go for a dark purple. Your welcome lol.

Snow..........something I haven't had to deal with in almost 20 years. I love it as long as I am inside watching it.

Love the pink sock and the snowflake pattern is so dainty. Someone is going to be really happy with it.

Becki said...

I don't think I have a strong opinion about the different colors you might expect overdying to have on the original sock colors, but I do think it's a neat concept (and your photograph experiment a neat simulation). I look forward to seeing what you come up with. The pink sock is very pretty!

Lucy Bowen said...

I really like the burgundy option. Your snowflake socks are gorgeous, but then I'm partial to a bit of pink!